Tuesday, January 26, 2016

On a Quest for Good Story

Over the holidays I visited Kassel, Germany, where I learned that two of my favorite storytellers had lived many years—the Grimm Brothers.  In Kassel, there is a wonderful museum dedicated to Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm.  Their fairy tales have been translated into many languages.   



What has made these fairy tales endure over the years?  I think it’s good story.  

Here are some of the other good stories and storytellers that have been recommended to me so far for study:

Tasha Alexander
M.C. Beaton
Geraldine Brooks
Eleanor Catton, The Luminaries
John Connolly
Jennifer Donnelly, A Northern Light
Gillian Flynn, Sharp Objects
Dick Francis
Diana Gabaldon
John Green
Tim Hallinan
Polly Iyer
Rachel Joyce, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
Garrison Keillor
Stephen King
Karl Ove Knausgaard, My Struggle Book One
Dean Koontz
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus
Kate Morton
Stuart Neville
Patrick Rothfuss
J.K. Rowling and Robert Galbraith
Hank Phillippi Ryan
James Alexander Thom
Mark Twain
Anne Tyler
Andy Weir, The Martian
Laura Ingalls Wilder


The Secret of Roan Inish (film)


No comments:

Post a Comment